SINGAPORE – 7 May 2019 – According to a new survey fielded by the Business Performance Innovation (BPI) Network, in partnership with A10 networks, mobile service providers anticipate significant new revenue opportunities from the coming deployment of high-speed 5G networks and a host of new IoT-driven use cases, but they also believe much-improved security will be essential to realizing that potential.
The new study report, “Securing the Future of a Smart World,” demonstrates that carriers are moving decisively toward 5G commercialization and that security is a top concern. This report surveyed a total of 61 participants in Asia Pacific
Specifically, in Asia Pacific market –
- 79% – will deploy their first commercial 5G networks within 18 months.
- 89% – expect growth in network traffic, connected devices and mission critical IoT use cases to significantly increase security and reliability concerns for 5G networks
- 84% – say 5G is already being considered in their current security investment
“Mobile carriers anticipate significant revenue opportunities and exciting new use cases as they move forward with their 5G deployments. However, the industry also recognizes that 5G will dramatically raise the stakes for ensuring the security and reliability of these networks,” said Gunter Reiss, vice president of A10 Networks. “New mission-critical applications like autonomous vehicles, smart cities, and remote patient monitoring will make network reliability vital to the safety and security of people and businesses. Meanwhile, dramatic increases in traffic rates and connected devices will significantly expand the attack surface and scale for cyber criminals.”
Assessing 5G Security Needs
In the global context,
- 63% – Advanced DDoS protection the most important security capability needed for 5G networks.
- 98% of respondents said core network security was either very important (72%) or important (26%) in 5G build-outs.
- 79% have or will upgrade their Gi/SGi firewalls
- 73% have or will upgrade their GTP firewall
“Operators overwhelmingly understand the importance of upgrading security in a more connected and smart world,” continued Reiss. “Now it’s time to take decisive action. Carriers need to move ahead aggressively with their plans to upgrade legacy DDoS protection and consolidate security services at the core and edge of their networks to address the growing concerns. A10 Networks 5G security solutions including Gi/SGi firewall, GTP firewall and AI-based DDoS protection enable operators to secure and scale their networks now and protect against the massive cyber threat coming with 5G.”
To assess the full report
Securing the Future of a Smart World